50 Random Facts About France
Most of the times, your research is about the tourist attractions, food and activities that France is most famous for. Nevertheless, have you ever tried to know all the random facts about France? Be prepared, because most of these will catch you off guard.
1. Louis XIX was the king of France for just 20 minutes, the shortest reign ever.
2. The French Army was the first to use camouflage in 1915.
3. Under French law, you can marry a dead person.
4. The French have produced a number of world-renown inventions such as tin cans, braille, the world’s first hair dryer etc.
5. France was the first country to pass a law on banning supermarkets from destroying or throwing away unsold food.
6. The first public screening of a movie was by French brothers Auguste and Louis Lumière on 28 December 1895.
7. A French woman lived to an incredible 122 and 164 days and is the world’s oldest ever human.
8. France legalized same-sex marriage in 2013.
9. France was the first country to institute the license plate.
10. Louis XIV of France had a coat with 123 diamond buttons on it.
11. King of the French Louis Phillippe outlived 7 assassination attempts.
Geographical Random Facts About France
12. France accounts for about one-fifth of Europe’s total area. This makes France the largest country in the Europe.
13. 20% of France’s population lives in Paris.
14. Paris was originally a Roman city called “Lutetia”.
15. The tallest mountain in Europe is the Mont Blanc in the French Alps. Climbing up to the summit will take roughly about 12 hours.
16. Forest lands span over about one-third of France’s land area.
17. France is located mid-way between the equator and the North Pole. This gives France a temperate climate.
18. Summing to around 29000 km, the French rail network is the second largest in Europe and ninth largest in the world.
19. The Eiffel Tower is one of France’s most recognized and visited historical structures.
20. The Cathedral of Notre Dame is the largest church in Northern France.
21. There are six villages in France called Silly and 12 called Billy.
22. According to the World Tourism Organization report, France is one of the world’s most popular tourist destination.
23. Almost 80 million people visit France each year, making it one of the world’s most visited countries.
24. France has its very own spaceport known as the Center Spatial Guyanais.
25. French is the second most studied language in the world, right behind English.
26. The Mona Lisa painting is one of the most famous paintings in the world, and one can see that at The Louvre in Paris.
27. The French government gives medals to citizens who have “successfully raised several children with dignity.”
28. All champagne is produced in the Champagne region in France. Otherwise, they call it sparkling wine.
29. The Gallic rooster is the national animal of France.
30. In order to combat obesity, France banned free refills at fast food restaurants.
31. Anyone over 14 can drive a VSP car in France without a licence.
32. The French people have a very high standard of living.
33. The French people have one of the longest life expectancy in the world.
34. France has the highest female life expectancy in the world.
35. The French people are the highest takers of psychotropic drugs. Estimated calculation states that close to 25% of the French people take anti-depressants.
36. The French army continues to use carrier pigeons and is the only country to do so still.
37. The French eat around 30,000 tonnes of snails a year.
38. Beauty pageants for children are banned in France. They are punishable with up to 2 years in prison and a €30,000 fine.
39. France has a total nominal GDP of $2.61 trillion with a per capital GDP of $41,141.
40. France is known as the wealthiest country in Europe, and it is the fourth wealthiest nation in the world.
41. France uses nuclear power for 79% of its electricity, making it the largest user of nuclear power in the world.
42. France has many acres of fertile land and is world’s third largest exporter of agricultural products.
43. The wine industry helps boost France’s economy greatly. They export Bordeaux wines and a lot of champagne all around the world.
44. France produces nearly a billion tons of cheese in around 1,200 different varieties in a year.
Other Random Facts About France
45. One of France’s grand tradition includes buying your bread on a daily basis.
46. Some of the greatest art museums are in France including the Louvre.
47. French is one of the romance languages, along with Spanish, Italian and Romanian.
48. 40% of the music played on the radio must be French. Moreover, half of the music cannot be older than six months.
49. The world’s greatest cycle race, the Tour de France, has been around for more than 100 years.
50. In the entire city of Paris, there is only one stop sign.
Do you think that we missed any quirky random facts about France? Post them below and let us know.
Other Country Facts – 45 Random Facts About Greece